Sunday, September 21, 2008

I'm getting in shape (and I don't mean round)



"If it weren't for the fact that the TV set and the refrigerator are so far apart, some of us wouldn't get any exercise at all."
Joey Adams

"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness."
Edward Stanley

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
James Baldwin

"If you are not in the process of becoming the person you want to be, you are automatically engaged in becoming the person you don't want to be. "
I don't remember where I got this from but it's true.

“A nail is driven out by another nail. Habit is overcome by habit.”
Desiderius Erasmus



I will start working out seriously tomorrow. I've been kind of doing stuff here and there but not really anything comprehensive. I picked up a copy of "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen. I read it and it made a lot of sense. I'm really not in good shape; I have poor posture and a lot of weak areas. The program outlined in the book helps shore up your weaknesses so you have balanced fitness.

I put on some weight when I was working at nights on the weekends. I went from about 8% body fat to about 15% almost doubling it. Also I went from 150 to 165 lbs. in about 5 months. I've never really had abs but now I definitely don't. Instead I now have a nice little belly. Once I quit working nights I started to slowly lose the weight but my belly is still sticking around. I started eating vegetarian in the beginning of June and as you can tell by the info below I lost some weight:


April 29
Weight: 156.4 lbs.
Body fat: 11.4%
Muscle: 45.1%
BMI: 21.2

Sept 6
Weight: ???
Body fat: 10.8%
Muscle: 45.7%
BMI: 20.9

Sept 21
Weight: 152.8 lbs.
Body fat: 10.5%
Muscle: 45.9%
BMI: 20.7

Now those numbers really aren't that bad but I need to be able to keep up with all my kids and I'm slowing down already. Plus I eventually want to look like this:

Whether or not that is realistic is besides the point. I can dream can't I? Plus we all need goals. There isn't really any motivation to workout if you don't have a goal to visualize to get you through the crappy parts (which is everything). Anyways I plan on following the "Core Performance" workout for around 12 weeks which is as long as it goes. Maybe afterwards I will try the "300" workout which (as evidenced by the photo) works wonders when combined with proper nutrition. I am going to try and check in every Monday with my weight, body fat, muscle percent and BMI(according to my scale). Also I will let you know if I have actually done the workouts I'm supposed to do. I know that those scales aren't perfectly accurate but they give you a good idea of what's going on in your body.

Anyways GOOD LUCK TO ME!

1 comment:

Miri said...

hahaha. you and mike and that movie. good grief.

good luck!